Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Woman's Search for Meaning

I don't have time to make a long post, but this happened last night and I really wanted to share.

I've been wondering why I am in the Czech Republic, as in was I supposed to come here at this time, or would any place have done? I've been having a great time, been learning, growing, and feeling pretty useful, but if you have a good attitude, that would happen anywhere, so did I have to come to Lito specifically?

Last night Angie and I were cleaning the kitchen after out third day of cooking for fifty people. We were laughing about something...Angie speaks English well, but creatively, and I always get a kick out of what she says, and Angie gets a kick out of my understanding her English (after a really creative statement, she usually throws up her hands and says "Oh my English!" It's very cute). It's usually lots of fun. Anyway, as we were laughing and cleaning, she told me that she had been praying for a long time that she would be friends with the American who came for the summer, and she thinks that prayer was answered. I think so too. Which means that when I was frantically trying to plan where I should go, what I should do with my summer, someone who had never met me was praying for me and the role that I would fulfill.

Angie has completed her Masters degree and soon will be leaving Bethel to work with visually impaired children. This will probably be her last experience with a foreign volunteer at Bethel. We have gotten along so well in that kitchen and had so many laughs.

I felt pervasive peace when I went to bed last night, because after praying for weeks for God to show me why I had to come to the Czech Republic specifically, my prayer was answered. I wasn't sent to Lito for me, for my own growth. I was sent to be a blessing for someone else.

I have the same feeling as if I has just seen the answer to a logic puzzle that I couldn't figure out, because the answer is very simple, but you have to get at it in a creative way (like the Italian architect who challenged other architects to make an egg stand up. No one could do it, but when he got the egg, he tapped the narrow end flat with a spoon, and behold, it stood up straight!) My reason for being here isn't me, that's why I couldn't figure it out. My reason for being here is other people.

And now I have to go help with breakfast, but this point is a great capstone to something I had struggled with in Spirituality about the inter-depenedence that we have on other Christians (even when they're trifling). Thank you for your prayers. I can say with positive certainty that they have been answered! :)

1 comment:

  1. this post meant a lot to me, thanks for sharing Kendall. You are such a blessing to the people you are with there and you will really realize it once you leave and they continue to grow in the Lord.

    elizabeth harpe

    ReplyDelete